Thursday, September 10, 2009

I never wrote about the weekend in France. Tre Magnifique. Wednesday I finally got in contact and met up with Luce and Friday we went and got the rental car, came back, got the bags, got a parking ticket, got food, and left for France. 


We had fun. We rode the Chunnel train in our car where we both got to sleep. We finally made it to a hotel near the wedding at about 6:30 am. I got the top bunk. We both crashed we were so tired. If it weren’t for the cleaning lady at 12 that woke Luce up we wouldn’t have made it to the wedding on time. After a mad scramble to get showered and ready we headed off again, both still a little groggy from not getting a full nights sleep. 


Here’s the thing about french weddings that Luce warned me about. She said they never end. I would soon realize how true that warning was.


Part One-The courthouse. In France they must first get married in the courthouse by the state and agree to the legal requirements of marriage. Those requirements included trust, loyalty, respect, both parties helping in raising the children etc. Really good quality legal agreement. So that went from 2-2:30pm. 


Part Two-The Church. Then the couple must be married and united in the catholic church. The church was only a block down the road from the marriage office at which the state marriage ceremony took place so everyone walked; everyone except Luce and I; we drove. The church was beautiful. It was old and unique and charming. The church ceremony stated at 3pm and lasted until 4:30pm. Luce and I were both trying to stay awake. I must admit that it may have been harder for me seeing as how I had no idea what was being said.  Still, it was beautiful. the whole wedding was themed after the french book, “The Tiny Prince.” I think that’s what it’s called in English at least. In french it’s Petit Prince, and in German it’s der Kleiner Prinze. Anyways, the ceremony ended and we made our way to what you might think was the reception, but you would be sadly mistaken.


Part Three-The Drinks/Desserts. We then drove to a smaller city near the church to a place that had drinks and desserts. I had jue d’orange, sandwich surprise and every dessert possible.  They had mini chocolate and caramel eclairs, lemon and fruit tartlets, and macaroons.  I really enjoyed the pistachio macaroons. They also had these sweet unfilled cream puff type things that were sprinkled in large sugar crystals that tasted amazing in my mouth. So light, so puffy, so good. After I ate everything on the table, we left to go get a card for Luce to give to the bride. We went to this small town near the place of the wedding and walked around. Guess who we saw; the missionaries. Anyways, we went and finally found a card but had enjoyed our time a bit too much and realized that we might be late for the pictures that were to start at 7.


Part Four-The Pictures. We missed the beginning, but like everything here it kept going and going so when we got there at 7:30 Luce was still able to get a photo of her and her friend, the bride. 


Part Five-The Hor’derves. While Luce talked I ate again. It seemed that as long as I had something in my face that I was digesting I had no problem that I couldn’t understand a single word anyone was saying. I ate caviar (well, Luce said it was salmon eggs NOT caviar...) french style pigs in a blanket, crab in a blanket, eggs and ham in a blanket, veggies sliced thin on baguette, and orange juice to drink.


Part Six-The Dinner/Presentation. The 5 course meal started at 8pm and the first course went for at least a half hour because after each course they would either show a video presentation or play a game. After course one (fra grais) they showed a video of “how the couple met” etc. Then course two. Salmon stuffed with crab...yum. This is about 8:30-45. Then they played a game with an umbrella where it was played musical chairs style and whomever had the umbrella when the music stopped would have to read what was in one of the envelopes tied to it and promise to do for the couple one of the two things listed. 12 cards for all 12 months. Luce got June the 24th; something about a concert etc. Anyways, I thought dinner was over because apple ice cream came out...turns out it was only to “cleanse our pallet.” Ok. then another presentation, this time about the yogurt factory that they worked at. Their co-workers sang a song. Again, didn’t understand what they were saying. But again, the food came soon after. Course three, la beuff. It was glorious. The meat was so buttery and tender and juicy. I cut my meat with my butter knife. They didn’t even give the guests a steak knife. It melted in your mouth. There was also no other sauce for it. No cream sauce, no bbq sauce, no steak sauce; just meaty goodness. At this point there was another presentation which I can’t remember what it was because I was going; fast. It was midnight by now and I needed to sleep and Luce had noticed. She suggested sleeping a bit in the car. I jumped on that. So I got the keys and by 12:15 I was out. A knock on the window at 2am by Luce woke me up. They had finally finished the other two courses; cheese and dessert, and were ready for dancing. 


Part Seven-Dancing. Yes, at 2am the dancing was about to begin. I figured, I had rested, time to dance! It was so much fun. I danced the french waltz with Luce and thought the whole time; Lacey and I would have rocked this out. Then they did some fun french line dancing which took a few turns to get how it went, but I got a hang of it soon enough. Then we danced just normally and the drunk bride liked my moves. Finally at 4am Luce was ready to sleep. I had had my fill at this point of the wedding. I never thought I would be at a wedding this long; 14 hours. 


I know what you’re thinking, and no, it’s not over yet.


Luce and I get to the hotel and crash again, and again are woken by the cleaning lady at 11; just in time to shower and check out by 12. Now, I was under the same false impression as you all when I thought that we were done with the wedding. Becuase of this false impression I put on the same pants as I wore at the wedding and the same shoes. So I was nervous when I realized that we were driving back to “la Touche” the place of the dinner and dancing of last night. 


Part Eight-Breakfast/Lunch. There’s a goodbye breakfast didn’t you know? Well, Luce told me that this was the lunch, they had already had the breakfast earlier. Yes, earlier. It was about 12:30 and they had already woken up earlier to have a breakfast after dancing all night. So for my breakfast but everyone else’s lunch I had cured ham and brie cheese on a craissant, grilled french style brat on a baguette, yogurt and you guessed it; orange juice. I ate three or four servings and it was amazing. i would have taken more with me if I had plastic baggies. Before we left they brought out more cake leftover from last night. Since I was asleep while they did the cake last night I HAD to try some. It was good. A three layered chocolat mouse cake and a strawberry shortcake type cake filled with strawberry cream. Delicious. 


Finally we left at around 3 pm after saying goodbye to everyone and eating our weight in french food. We got back to the rental car place and back to the apartment by 11pm. And crashed. C'est la vie! 




No comments:

Post a Comment